Is your council treating care leavers fairly?

We have found out that some councils have a rule that means care leavers are only exempt from paying council tax if they remain in their home area. So if a young person is placed outside of their council area, or moves for a job or housing, then they are getting hit with a huge bill.

We don’t think council tax exemption should be conditional on a postcode. Can you contact your local council and make sure they are supporting all care leavers, no matter where they live?

Please contact your council today. 

Keeping in touch

The Children’s Society would like to contact you about how you can support vulnerable children by campaigning, volunteering and providing financial support.

We may contact you by post and telephone. If you do not wish to hear from us, or have a preferred contact method, simply let our friendly Supporter Care team know by calling 0300 303 7000 or emailing

Please see our Privacy Policy for details of how we will use your personal information and keep it safe and secure.